We are all somewhere on the continuum and where we are can change during the course of our lives
Whenever i present on Mental Health i always spend a good amount of time on this picture. I always explain that lets be honest not many people are Excelling, i am not here to say people aren’t. However with all the pressures of life ( yes its constant ) we are generally balancing between Thriving and Unsettled. Every now and again we may dip out big toe into Struggling however we will move back into unsettled.
A Prime example is myself, i have had a difficult 2019 and probably spent most of my time struggling and unsettled. This is not me in crisis, this is purely me having a bad year.
Few pertinent points on this picture :
- Mental Health is our emotional, psychological and social well being affecting how we think
- Mental Health is not a binary state
- The struggles of everyday life – divorce, illness, death of a loved one, problems at work – can have a big impact on your health
- Its natural to go through ups and downs in life. Sometimes you bounce right back and sometimes you don’t. Please remember this, its so important we have natural ups and downs
- Stress can be good for you, i get stressed before i am going on stage when i am public speaking. I prefer this as it means i am not over confident and always me to keep myself on my toes.