I noticed while in a workshop that vROPS 8 install manage and configure course had gone GA. Very quickly I registered, just my luck – full however I was on the waiting list. A day later that email I had been waiting for “ there’s room at the inn, click now to be part of the party”.
I have not attended a vROPS training course since around 2013 / 2014 and was quite an earlier version of vROPS – lots has changed since.
I have a few customers who are going to vROPS 8 so i thought it would be pretty prudent to try and get myself more upto speed with the new features of vROPS 8
This was the first run on line of this new course, yes the odd hiccup around the labs not working correctly however nothing that caused any issues and this only happened on the Monday.
The only downside was there no actual timings for each of the lab tasks / sections so it was very much finger in the air and by overall consensus. This meant that Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday where very heavy and long days. Thursday and Friday where very light in comparison.
Trainer was great and i really enjoyed the weeks worth of training, yes it was a live on line course. Some people like these and some don’t and i can the plus and minus points around them.
Staying away on a course for the week
- More detached from work
- Social Aspect ( beer and some food most nights )
- Networking while on the course whether this be coffee breaks or lunch
- More conversation / interactivity within the classroom
- All kit is there for you in an classroom so you will generally have 2 good size monitors
- Travel and being away from home
- Generally travel on a Sunday and wont get home till 10pm on a Friday
- Extra costs from hotels and expenses, this can mount up into a hefty sum for the week
- No Travel, would hope you have either booked a meeting room in your place of work or your at home doing the training
- No travelling down the night before and no coming home at daft o’clock on a Friday night
- Zero Travel and Expense costs – this really can make a difference sometimes as to whether you are allowed to attend a course or not
- If your doing this from home it is really just a matter of getting up and going into your office or where you work at home
- Your own kit, you need a monitor as well as your laptop / desktop ( with monitor )
- The networking at coffee and lunch times are not there as everyone is remote; fair play to the instructor this week he would try and get some conversations going with people at coffee breaks.
- No social part of a night time
- You have to be very strict with email and detaching from work, turn email off, turn skype off etc and make sure you have some cover on your Out Of Office for the week.
- You need correct kit, defiantly need a second monitor, desk etc and a room thats quiet
So there you go it comes down to cost and personal preference, training is exactly the same as its normal trainers that would have if your attended a classroom event. Live on line has become a lot more popular and there certainly is a lot more dates available that classroom courses. So if your in a rush to get the training then Live On Line can really be of benefit.
I had a great week and got a great deal from the course, hard work starts now as you really need to go through the manual etc again. vROPS is a monster of a product and does take a bit of effort to get the most from it. Although vROPS 8 has certainly made a great deal of content available straight out the box which may well be enough for a lot of people.
Course details :
This five-day course covers advanced capabilities like customizing alerts, views, reports, and dashboards and explains the architecture and different ways of deploying VMware vRealize® operations. This course explains certificates, capacity concepts, and workload optimization with real-world use cases and covers troubleshooting using dashboards and how-to manage compliance and configurations. The course also covers management packs such as those for or in the SDDC Management Health solution, Storage Devices Management Pack, and AWS Management Pack.
In general, this course explains how to use and configure most of the new features and enhancements in vRealize version 8.0.
|Outline:||1 Course Introduction
• Introductions and course logistics
• Course objectives2 User Interface Enhancements
• Describe how to use vRealize Operations to manage the software-defined data center
• Identify features and benefits of vRealize Operations
3 Deploying vRealize Operations
4 vRealize Operations Architecture and Certificates
5 vRealize Operations Concepts and Policies
6 Performance Optimization
7 Capacity Optimization and Costing
8 Managing Configurations and Troubleshooting Pillars
9 Operating System and Application Monitoring
10 Custom Alert Definition
11 Custom Views and Reports
12 Custom Dashboards
13 Super Metrics
14 User Access Control
15 Extending and Managing a vRealize Operations Deployment